Monday, May 11, 2009

My Charming Miniatures

I wanted to show some of my miniature quilts. I found miniatures to be so much fun to do and the more I did the more I challenged myself to see how small I could make the pieces and see how accurate I could be in piecing them together.

This was the very first miniature I made. It was just a simple nine patch that I put sashing in between and then one border, with ribbon used for the cornerstones. The squares are 1-1/2". I use this little quilt now to pin my quilt show pins to. It hangs in my sewing room.

Here is a close up.

This was probably the most difficult miniature I've made to date. I entered this one in the Lancaster Quilt Show in 2006 and received an Honorable Mention. It's such a hassle to enter a quilt that I haven't entered any more since. I called this quilt "Pineapples In My Garden" This picture didn't turn out so clear, though. The total size is 15-1/2"x 17-1/2". It's foundation pieced, hand appliqued flowers, embellished with beads in the middle of the yo-yo flowers, hand embroidered vine. The main quilt is machine quilted and hand quilted around the flowers.


Here is a close up.



4 comments:

  1. Both very beautiful! I love the buttons on the first one. I guess I'm a button freak! You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina and welcome to BLogland! I hope you enjoy the journey :^)

    Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. I thought I'd pay you a visit and I'm blown away by your miniature quilts, those pieces are so itty-bitty small! Yikes! Maybe one day I'll try it.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely little quilts! I've always wanted to try making one and I thought maybe a quilted table runner would be a good starting place but I guess a mini quilt would be good too.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I've tried the miniatures but my arthritis inhibits my fine motor skills some - that's my excuse. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete